As a photographer, you know that things don’t always go according to plan. General Liability Insurance is coverage designed to protect you in case something goes wrong on a shoot. More and more photographers are susceptible to risks on shoots, even if they are taking the right measures to protect themselves and their business. It’s more important than ever to ensure you have the right protection.
How General Liability Coverage Protects Photographers
General Liability is about leaving nothing to chance. As the old adage goes, “Anything that can go wrong, will eventually go wrong.” There are many situations in which photographers like you could face big bills or lawsuits:
- A little to the left results in someone falling and spraining their wrist.
- An unsteady light stand tips over on location causing damage.
- You back up for a shot and bump into and break a client’s heirloom.
- The stylist’s costly makeup kit is knocked off a ledge.
- You photograph a newsworthy event and get hit with a privacy lawsuit.
- The car you rented for a shoot is involved in an accident.
What Is General Liability
General Liability coverage protects you and your photography business from the most common risks, including lawsuits alleging personal injury, property damage, negligence, libel, slander, invasion of privacy and more. The result of a lawsuit can be devastating. Unfortunately, even when you do everything right and take the utmost care, you could still one day face a stressful and costly legal claim.
With a typical General Liability Insurance policy, your business is protected in the following ways:
- Coverage on location throughout the world
- Coverage for damage to the property of others
- Personal injury coverage
- Coverage for claims of advertising liability injury
- Rental auto liability coverage
- Coverage in case of fire, lightning or explosion at a rented location
- Coverage available for additional employees
With General Liability, you can rest a little easier that the future of your photography business won’t be threatened by an accident, mistake or bad luck.
Why General Liability Is a Must-Have
General Liability Insurance can provide photographers like you the coverage you need for just pennies a day. It’s a smart investment in yourself and your career. But in some cases, you will find it’s a must-have. Clients and venues also need to ensure they are protected and many will require photographers to provide proof of insurance coverage.
In order to shoot an event, you may even find you need to submit a certificate of insurance listing a client and venue as an additional insured on your General Liability policy. Active photographers need these certificates regularly to help ensure they, their clients and venues are fully protected.
As a professional photographer, you take pride in your work and the business you’ve worked so hard to build. With General Liability coverage from Lockton Affinity, you can help protect yourself and your business. See what our coverage will look like for you in seconds.